Tuesday, April 19, 2011

CUIC Crosby 5K 4/16/11

This past Saturday, B and I ran in the Churches United in Caring (CUIC) 5K run put on by the Crosby-Huffman Chamber of Commerce.  (CUIC runs the food bank and resale shop here in Crosby)  We were pretty pumped to be running this since it was so close to our house, it started at the Crosby Fairground about 2 miles from our house.  It started at 8 and we left our house at 7:30 :) and got there in plenty of time to pay, get our goody bags (for such a small race the bags had some awesome stuff even though the shirts were lame, and white!), and stretch before the start.  This was an incredibly small race (I would say probably about 50 people, most of them were walkers).  It started right on time and made a big loop which I like so much better than out and back courses.  The course ran through some of the neighboring streets, making our way towards highway 90 and then back to the start.  I finished 5th overall (4th place female) with a time of 28:10 (a PR by 2 minutes!).  The women definitely dominated this run: the overall winner was a girl who finish in 24 minutes and 4 of the top 5 finishers were women.  The 2nd and 3rd place males finished behind me and they only gave trophies to top 3 male and top 3 female so that was a bit of bummer but I'm very happy with my time (plus I beat B!)  B did really well too and finished in 30 minutes and beat his previous 5K time by 3 minutes.  The weather was perfect (about 55 or so at the start and clear) and the roads were flat so it was perfect conditions for a fun, fast race.  I really hope they have more runs in the area cause it was a lot of fun.

Next up:
Hell Run  on Saturday April 30th.  This is a 3.45 mile run with 12 obstancles.  B and I are both doing this and making a weekend getaway out of it.  Should be loads and loads of fun.  I can't wait.

 Alex's 5k on Friday May 13th @7pm.  This 5k race raises money for Autism Speaks.  I'm really looking forward to this since it is a helping such an incredible organization and because autism is something that has directly affected my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment