Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I want to be on the Biggest Loser!!

I am a HUGE fan of the Biggest Loser. I've watched almost all of the seasons and it's so amazing to see the transformation of these people from beginning to end. Sometimes I think it's a little unrealistic with extreme calorie counting and obsessive amounts of hours in the gym, but for the most part I think it is very motivating and inspiring.
As the years have gone by, and the Biggest Loser has grown in popularity, the starting weight of the contestants they've picked has grown as well. Women in the high 200's and 300's, Men weighing in at over 400 pounds with a few in the 500's! That is jaw dropping. And completely amazing to watch these people push themselves out of their comfort zone and become healthier people both inside and out.
When the Biggest Loser first started, the seasons were shorter because they did not know if the show would be a success (boy were they wrong) and as a result the contestants were not as large starting out.
During Christmas break in 2009 I was watching a Biggest Loser marathon that was on WE or Oxygen, I can't remember which channel it was. As I was watching the opening episode (the season where a guy named Eric won) a couple of the girls starting weight was between 215 and 220. At that time that was almost how much I weighed and I was floored. They were on the Biggest Loser, they were making positive changes in their life, taking their life back and becoming healthier. Hey, I want to do that too?!?!This was the moment the light switch came on (and I really started to make the changes that I needed to). In January of 2010 a brand new season of the Biggest Loser started and every Tuesday I would only let myself watch it if I was on the treadmill. I've been even more obsessed the Biggest Loser ever since! (I have every single Biggest Loser book that has been published!!)

I have a major girl crush on trainer Jillian Michaels. When I first started exercising I mainly stuck with cardio workouts. Running or walking 5-6 days a week. The more I read and researched, I realized that doing strength training (weights) wasn't going to make me gain huge, manly, body-builder muscle like I had always thought. If you want to burn calories around the clock, you have to build some muscle. Enter Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.
I really enjoy doing my strength training with some kind of DVD. It makes me feel like I'm taking a body-pump class at the gym or working out with a personal trainer. It's a whole lot better for me than just working out with free weights which I'm just not that great at. 30 day shred is my go to weights work out. I love that incorporates cardio intervals and is only about 20 minutes for a quick workout.

For Christmas, B got me 2 of the new workout DVD's from the other Biggest Loser Trainer, Bob Harper. I needed to take a little break from Jillian, because the Shred wasn't as difficult anymore, and it's always good to shake up your workout routine every once in a while.
The Cardio/Conditioning DVD has 2 workouts. An intense hour long workout and a 25 minute quick strength workout. I'm going to start by doing the 25 minute workout after my 3 mile run on Thursdays.

The 2nd dvd that B got me was Bob Harper's Yoga for the Warrior. It has an hour long yoga workout followed by 15 minutes of yoga abs.
So sexy and focused
I did this dvd last night. Holy quads Batman, this was a super good workout. I think that I have tapped into an intense love for yoga. Lots of planks that had my arms shaking, low sitting lunges that hurt my quads, and the abs workout was killer! I'm definitely going to try to incorporate this on a weekly basis. It was awesome. There were several poses that I couldn't do, and I kind of wanted to punch the 2 girls on there because they made it seems so effortless to twist themselves into a human pretzel and balance on one hand and stuff. I won't ever be that good but I think if I could improve my balance and flexibility it will definitely help my running and recovery from running.
Team Bob or Team Jillian?
It's a toss up for me, but I think my love for Jillian's tough love will always win out. Plus I want her abs!!



3 comments:

  1. It's like we're twins. I'm just a few months behind you. Yay for smaller bewbage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need someone like Jillian to come over here and motivate me! I'm in a major slump, to say the least! UHG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS to Nicole for linking you off her blog!

    I love healthy living blogs!!!

    Now i just have to catch up!

    ReplyDelete